Daring Thoughtless Thief Puzzle
Daring Thoughtless Thief Riddle
A daring, rather thoughtless thief once stole a car of the police chief. The police immediately started an investigation and on the basis of witness depositions, four suspects were arrested that were seen near the car at the time of the crime. Because the chief of police took the case very seriously, he decided to examine the four suspects personally using a lie detector. Each suspect gave three statements during the examinations, as follows:
1. In high-school I was in the same class as suspect C.
2. Suspect B has no driving license.
3. The thief didn’t know that it was the car of the chief of police.
1. Suspect C is the guilty one.
2. Suspect A is not guilty.
3. I never sat behind the wheel of a car.
1. I never met suspect A until today.
2. Suspect B is innocent.
3. Suspect D is the guilty one.
1. Suspect C is innocent.
2. I didn’t do it.
3. Suspect A is the guilty one.
With so many contradicting statements, the chief of police lost track. To make things worse, it appeared that the lie-detector didn’t quite work yet as it should, because the machine only reported that exactly four of the twelve statements were true, but not which ones.
Now the big Question : Who is the thief??
1. In high-school I was in the same class as suspect C. ——> let it be a False statement.
2. Suspect B has no driving license.——>False
3. The thief didn't know that it was the car of the chief of police. ——-> Daring thief 😉 so it is a False statement.
1. Suspect C is the guilty one.—–> True
2. Suspect A is not guilty.—–> True
3. I never sat behind the wheel of a car.—-> False
1. I never met suspect A until today.—–>False because it doesn't mean that he was in the same class as A .
2. Suspect B is innocent. —-> True
3. Suspect D is the guilty one. —-> False
1. Suspect C is innocent. —->False
2. I didn't do it. —-> True
3. Suspect A is the guilty one. —>False
The set of contradictory statements in pairs:
(A1,C1), i,e, 1st statement of A and 1st statement of C. They contradict each other and so 1 of them must be true.
Out of these 4 pairs, exactly 1 combination taking 1 from each pair is TRUE.
So rest all statements are false.
So, C2 is false.( this is the only statement that can be used for detection)
So, B is the Theif.
ya gud sol 2nd answer is correct